Seattle Locksmith Professionals on Preventing Break-Ins
Most areas tend to see a significant spike in crime from the months of November through January because of the holiday season. Thieves are in and out of a home in less than 6 minutes, anything you can do to slow them down or prevent them from getting in completely, can make all the difference.
Here are 7 tips from our Seattle locksmith professionals to help prevent a break-in:
- Adopt a dog – Many dogs are territorial, especially of their loving family. Even the sight of a dog or a few barks is enough to deter a burglar from entering your home.
- Lock your doors and windows – This seems like an obvious step, but it is surprising how many people forget to do this when leaving the house. Always do a quick walk through when you are getting ready to leave. It can be deciding factor on whether or not a thief goes in or stays out.
- Use a strategic landscaping – Make sure to plant bushes or trees in specific locations such as inform of your windows that can prevent unwanted eyes from seeing into your home and eyeing valuables.
- Hide valuables – Make sure all valuable items in your house are not visible from the street. If you have no option but to have it here, close the blinds for that room so it is no visible from the outside.
- Install double key deadbolts – it has been said that 34% of all thieves come right in through the front door. So it is in your best interest to get a good locking system at all entry points
- Secure patio doors – Most patio doors are made completely of glass, so thieves are less likely to break in through these since they create more noise and attention. So if they are not able to open it, they wont try and get in that way.
- Do not advertise – with all of the different social media sites out there now, you cannot help but tell everyone on the Internet everything you are doing every second of the day. However, when you do this, it gives strangers the opportunity to know when you are and when you are not home.
After the holiday season, there are tons of new gifts and goodies that we want to keep safe. Take every precaution you can to protect you valuables. If you have any additional questions or are in need of advice of any locks or safes, give our Seattle locksmith professionals a call at (206) 284-0151.